Saturday, June 8, 2013

Ginger

This blog post is all dedicated to ginger... No not the red heads but ginger as in the food we eat! I found an interesting post about how ginger has been shown to help with pain and  inflammation (migraines) ://www.chironexus.net/2013/05/ginger-as-effective-as-drug-for-migraine/203069, this being interesting to me because that is the title of one of my nutrition courses this trimester, 'nutrition for pain and inflammation'.
When I first started taking this course I though oh man, no one is going to come to me (the nutritionist) for pain and inflammation (instead they will goto a medical doctor to give them drugs to mask the problem which is a NO NO) and also I thought it was a bit much to have an entire course dedicated to pain and inflammation... Like the really hard biology crap (oh wait biology is what I majored in in undergrad...) hahaha life has a way of really biting me in the butt. I thought I was done with the hard stuff and more onto things that really are easy for me to understand, because nutrition is what we do everyday.. Everyday we eat. But this class is on another level and what makes it even harder, my teacher is so perky and excited about this subject lol!
Anyways, back on to GINGER, what does it do for us? It treats nausea (especially in pregnancy), stomach ache, rheumatism, toothache, pain and fever. There are great ginger teas out there and also I suggest 250 mg 3 times a day as needed. I could go on to tell you how all this works biologically but trust me, the cyclooxygenase pathway is freakin boring and long. The link that I posted above talks about ginger shown to treat migraines as well. So next time you are suffering from any of the above conditions, try opening up the pantry/fridge instead of the medicine cabinet!

No comments:

Post a Comment